On June 2, 2015, British Council Wales and CfBT Education Trust published the first national survey of modern foreign language (MFL) teaching in Welsh secondary schools – Language Trends Wales.
The report found:
• MFL is becoming increasingly marginalised within the Welsh curriculum
• Many pupils are receiving only a minimal or fragmented experience of language learning
• The potential benefits of bilingualism in Wales are not being realised when it comes to learning a modern foreign language
• In the ten year period from 2005-2014 A-level entries for French, German and Spanish halved
• Only 22% of Welsh pupils take a GCSE in a language other than Welsh or English